Every so often, we find the most interesting data science links from around the web and collect them in Data Science Briefings, the DataMiningApps newsletter. Subscribe now for free if you want to be the first to get up to speed on interesting resources.
- MusicLM: Generating Music From Text
MusicLM generates high-fidelity music from text descriptions. The code is not available yet, but people have already worked on their own implementations.
- Introducing ChatGPT Plus
“We’re launching a pilot subscription plan for ChatGPT, a conversational AI that can chat with you, answer follow-up questions, and challenge incorrect assumptions.”
- OpenAI and Microsoft Extend Partnership
“This multi-year, multi-billion dollar investment from Microsoft follows their previous investments in 2019 and 2021, and will allow us to continue our independent research and develop AI that is increasingly safe, useful, and powerful.”
- Do Large Language Models learn world models or just surface statistics?
“Do they merely memorize training data and reread it out loud, or are they picking up the rules of English grammar and the syntax of C language?”
- New AI classifier for indicating AI-written text
“We’re launching a classifier trained to distinguish between AI-written and human-written text.”
- Microsoft Teams Premium
“At Microsoft, we’re working to incorporate new, AI-powered capabilities across our consumer and enterprise products, including Microsoft Teams.”
- Diffusion models memorize images from their training data and emit them at generation time
“We study if diffusion models “memorize” training examples, which we define as generating a near-identical copy of any image.”
- A robot was scheduled to argue in court, then came the jail threats
“Joshua Browder’s artificial intelligence startup, DoNotPay, planned to have an AI-powered bot argue on behalf of a defendant in a case next month, but he says threats from bar officials have made him drop the effort.”
An art generator model based on the weights of Stable Diffusion 1.5 and data gathered from artistic material available on Pinterest.
AI imagined images. Pythonic generation of stable diffusion images. “just works” on Linux and macOS.
- Replacing a SQL analyst with 26 recursive GPT prompts
“Overall I was dumbfounded with the quality of the results.”
- Is Copyright Eating AI?
“Like a cruise ship heading for a scary iceberg, AI is in trouble, and the problems are mostly below the surface.”
- Open Source Vizier: Reliable and Flexible Black-Box Optimization
A Python-based service for black-box optimization and research, based on Google Vizier, one of the first hyperparameter tuning services designed to work at scale.
- Just know stuff. (Or, how to achieve success in a machine learning PhD.)
how to achieve success in a machine learning PhD? There’s a lot to learn.
- How to build TRUST in Machine Learning, the sane way
A nice overview on trust and machine learning models.
- ChatGPT Passes Google Coding Interview for Level 3 Engineer With $183K Salary
‘Amazingly, ChatGPT gets hired at L3 when interviewed for a coding position,’ reads a Google document
- A Conceptual Guide to Transformers
“My main goal in this sequence of posts is to provide a conceptual guide to transformers.”
- The Transformer Family Version 2.0
A treasure trove of info!
- A Dive into Vision-Language Models
“Joint vision-language models have shown particularly impressive capabilities in very challenging tasks such as image captioning, text-guided image generation and manipulation, and visual question-answering.”
- Recent Advances in Efficient and Scalable Graph Neural Networks
“An overview of papers on efficient Graph Neural Networks and scalable Graph Representation Learning for real-world applications.”
Natural Language → Knowledge Graph
- 8 Alternatives to Pandas for Processing Large Datasets
Which often are faster as well…
- Text-To-4D Dynamic Scene Generation
A method for generating three-dimensional dynamic scenes from text descriptions.
- AI Generated Seinfeld runs 24/7 on Twitch
It’s very weird.